With automatic syncing enabled, your contacts will be automatically synced in the background whenever either your Mac or Gmail contacts change. If you would rather have control over when and how your contacts get synced, I would suggest using manual syncing instead. You can review changes made by automatic syncing by going to the "Sync History."
- Go to "Auto Sync," and choose from one of the following sync types:
- Disables automatic syncing.
- "2-way Sync"
- Sync changes in both directions, updating both your Mac and Google
- "Gmail Contacts -> Mac"
- Updates your Mac contacts with the latest data from your Gmail contacts
- "Mac Contacts -> Gmail"
- Updates your Gmail contacts with the latest data from your Mac contacts
- Select "View Sync Status" to monitor how your contacts are being synced.